On July 7-9, researchers, business representatives and prominent personalities in the development of Community Networks worldwide will visit one of the successful ventures of this movement in Greece, the Sarantaporo.gr wireless community network. The event includes a two-day guided tour in the area of Sarantaporo (Elassona Municipality) and a public event in Athens with local and international participants. The event is organized by the netCommons program and the Sarantaporo.gr NPO.
The organization of meetings and workshops where actual action takes place is important for both parties involved. The local community feels that there is practical recognition, which is a real strengthening component. Furthermore, locals realize the importance of their venture on a global scale.
People, who work on the technical, economic, social challenges these networks globally face, have the opportunity to develop their work further in a real world environment that shows the actual operating conditions of those networks. At the same time, they are filled with inspiration and new motivation from getting in touch with the stories of people for whom the community network has a positive impact.
The Sarantaporo.gr wireless community network is located opposite the highest and most famous Greek mountain Olympus. The rich nature of the area provides an excellent opportunity for creative discussions and acquaintances among the participants. This collaborative experience can turn out to be far more productive than meetings typically held in closed air-conditioned showrooms, both in the short and the long term.
Saturday, July 7
- 11:00-13:00 A tour of the villages in the area, part of the Sarantaporo wireless community network
- 13:00-16:00 Lunch and discussion with members of the local community in Kokkinopilos village
- 17:00-22:00 Event at Sarantaporo Cultural Center (live streaming via other community networks around the world)
Sunday, July 8
- 11:00-13:00 Informal workshop among participants for exchange of impressions and planning of future steps
- 13:00-15:00 Lunch and discussion with members of the local community in Pythio village
- 15:00-18:00 Cultural tour (visit to the archaeological site, promenade to Mount Olympus)
- 19:00 Dinner and discussion for Monday's event at Impact Hub Athens.
You can find more details about the three-day event here
- Recent publication by Vasilis Chrysos on the progress of the Sarantaporo.gr wireless community network
- Panagiotis Antoniadis, NetHood
- Ileana Apostol, NetHood
- Leonardo Maccari, University of Trento
- Renato Lo Cigno, University of Trento
- Virginie Aubree, University of Trento
- Felix Treguer, CNRS
- Leandro Navarro, UPC
- Steve Song, Village Telco
- Adam Burns, Free2Air
- Evelyn Bodenmeier, thf.vision, Berlin
- Juergen Neumann, Freifunk.net
- Jane Coffin, ISOC
- Ramon Roca, guifi.net
- Bashir Mohamed Ali Bashir, Code Digital Group
Under the European project
With the support of