We are pleased to invite you to the screening of the documentary "Building Community of Commons in Greece. A Documentary about The Sarantaporo.gr Community Network", which will take place on Saturday, June 18, 2016 at 6 pm in the Vassilios Farmakis Mayor Hall.
The documentary has been shot over the last 3 years in the Greater Sarantaporo area by Personal Cinema with the support of Sarantaporo.gr and crowd funding through a crowdfunding campaign on the Goteo platform involving 88 people from Greece and abroad.
About the documentary:
"Sarantaporo is a mountain village in northern Greece, in the municipality of Elassona. It is a region with a farm economy that was not left unaffected by the crisis. Even before that, however, state responsibility for the area was lacking. Youth were fleeting to major urban centers or abroad, there was no internet access and locals were experiencing isolation but also exclusion from basic services such as healthcare. In 2010, a group of people developed the infrastructure of a community wireless network with the aim both connecting the villages of the area with each other and with the rest of the world. However, as the project matures over time, the community of the Sarantaporo.gr network is further targeteing. They want to be the catalyst for locals to reorganize cooperatives based on the community network, revitalize the local economy by making it sustainable, more extroverted and independent of state or corporate control. They hope to bridge state-of-the-art technologies (such as that of a wireless network) with the real, everyday challenges of a provincial community whose economy is based on the primary sector.
What are these challenges? How is a community born and how are pre-existing social structures affected during this process? What are the stories of people involved in this process one way or another? What can a project in a small provincial population, in a remote area of ??crisis-hit Greece, have to do with an ICT (Information & Communication Technology) project at the University of Catalonia and in the wider context of trying to create a new one common ground for the people of Europe? These are some of the questions the documentary goes through."
The event will feature an exhibition of photography and texts from the activities of Sarantaporo.gr NPO. Furthermore, various partners and potential partners of the NPO will take part with greetings and presentations. An open discussion with the public will follow after the screening.
In detail, the program of the event is as follows:
- 18:00 - 18:30 : Attendance, registration, photo and text exhibition browsing, social networking
- 18:30 - 18:35 : Greeting by a representative of Thessaly Region
- 18:35 - 18:40 : Greeting by a representative of Elassona Municipality
- 18:40 - 19:00 : Presentation: "Sarantaporo.gr NPO", George Kleissiaris
- 19:00 - 19:15 : Presentation: "GFOSS - The Power of the Commons", Vassilis Vlachos Assistant Professor, University of Thessaly
- 19:15 - 19:30 : Presentation: "Netcommons: Network infrastructure as a common good. From the people to the people, Panayiota Micholia, Athens University of Economics and Business
- 19:30 - 19:45 : Presentation: "Αgroknow", Nikos Manouseslis
- 19:45 - 20:00 : Presentation: "Internet of Things technologies for the modern agricultural production", Vassilis Chrysos, co-founder Ex Machina
- 20:00 - 20:15 : Presentation: "unMonastery: The Implausible Futures of Living Together", Katalin Hausel
- 20:15 - 20:30 : Foreword by Elias Marmaras, the director
- 20:30 - 21:30 : Documentary screening
- 21:30 - 22:30 : Open Discussion
Entrance is free. For the better organization of the event, however, please confirm your participation by filling out the form at the link below.